What is Botox?
Botox is a neuromodulator. Neuromodulators act to suppress signaling from nerves to muscles. Botox decreases muscle contraction or activity. When muscles are relaxed, the skin above does not furrow or crease.
Men and Women should consider Botox treatment for two reasons:
COSMETIC: Botox will give you a more relaxed, refreshed appearance. Our goal is to create a natural and youthful glow. Botox is also preventative in reducing new lines from appearing.
- forehead fine lines
- “11’s”/in-between the eyebrows
- “crows feet”/around the eyes
- “smokers lines”/ fine lines around lips
- “gummy smile”/high smile line
- masseter/ large chewing muscle “de plumping” to create a less square jaw line
THERAPEUTIC: If you suffer tooth or jaw/TMJ pain from clenching or grinding, Botox may help. Botox will also help reduce “lock jaw” symptoms.
Why consider Botox?
- Experience and Expertise -After four years of undergraduate study, dentists receive four intensive years of training in dental medicine at an accredited dental school. A significant portion of this schooling is focused on head and neck anatomy.
- Attention to detail- Dentists are extremely detail oriented as they work in such a small area of the body, focusing on millimeters at a time.
- Artistic eye- Administering Botox is both a science and an art form. Your facial features are no exception.
- Comfort- Dentists inject multiple times a day. You can ensure we will do everything to make your appointment as comfortable as possible.
- Convenience- Most healthy people visit the dentist more frequently than they do their own primary care physician. We are happy to coordinate your Botox appointments with your hygiene/ cleaning visits.
What to expect during your consultation appointment with Dr. Brittany Lahoda:
Dr. Lahoda will discuss your individualized cosmetic/therapeutic concerns in conjunction with your medical history. She will examine facial symmetry and movement to assess appropriate and personalized localized dosing, which will correlate to the severity of your condition. Each patient’s desired outcomes are unique and the amount of Botox delivered varies between patients.
After receiving Botox Cosmetic:
- Avoid laying flat for 3-4 hours after your treatment.
- Wait 24 hours for any type of athletic activity or massage therapy.
- You may resume your normal skin care routine the same evening. Be gentle not to massage the treated areas too intensely.
Why does my head hurt?
Headaches are uncommon, but may occur in a small percent of individuals. Please consult your provider for additional information.
Why do I have a bruise?
Sometimes during administration of Botox, superficial blood vessels may be “grazed” and cause bleeding. This small amount of blood pools under your skin, causing a “bruise”. This should heal in 2-4 weeks and may be covered with concealer or makeup.
When will I see results?
For cosmetic purposes, initial results may be visible within 3-4 days and complete results seen within 7-10 days.
For therapeutic purposes, initial results may be felt within one to two weeks. Full jaw slimming/contouring may take up to four weeks.
I think I might need a touch up.
Since Botox is administered based on subjective anatomical considerations and results are not initially visible, fine tuning post op visits are not uncommon. Please contact our office to schedule your visit and we will be happy to address your concerns!
How long will Botox effects last?
3-4 months. Results will fade gradually over the course of the 3-4 month time period. In order to maintain your ideal appearance/therapeutic outcome our team recommends staying up to date on receiving regular 3/4 month Botox treatments.